Sree N. Sreenath, Ph.D.
- Director, Case Complex Systems Biology
Associate Professor, EECS Department
Case Western Reserve University,
Olin Room 608,
10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7071
Phone: (216) 368-6219
Fax: (216) 368-3123
Email: nxs6 at case dot edu
Sree N. Sreenath, Ph.D., is the Director of the Case Complex Systems Biology Center, an Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the Case School of Engineering, and, co-directs the Global Systems Lab at Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio. Hailing from the Silicon City (Bangalore, India), Sreenath did his bachelor and master degrees from Bangalore University and Indian Institute of Science respectively. He received his doctorate in Electrical Engineering from University of Maryland, College Park in Systems, where he was also the first fellow of the Systems Research Center (forerunner of the Institute for Systems Research). His research and educational interests are in Systems Biology complexity research (modeling, structural issues and simulation) particularly focused on cell signaling, population behavior, and large scale behavior. His other area of research is in global issues and sustainable development. He has twenty years of university teaching and research experience.
Active Systems Biology Projects
JAK-STAT Pathway in Myeloproliferative Diseases (MPD): We are investigating IL3-induced JAK-STAT pathway and how its interaction with other pathways such as MAPK and PI3K involved in MPD
Collaborating experimental PIs: Kevin Bunting and Cheng-Kui Qu (Hematology and Oncology, Case).
Signaling Phenotypes in Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML): In this project we explore the signaling pathways implicated in AML, in relation to the different stage of AML cells differentiation.
Collaborating experimental PI: Jake Jacobberger (Hematology and Oncology, Case).
Prostate Cancer: Using complex systems biology approach, we aim to identify biomarkers which could lead to molecular-based therapy in prostate cancer.
Collaborating experimental PI: Sanjay Gupta (Urology, Case).
DNA Mismatch Repair (MMR)
Collaborating experimental PI: Tim Kinsella (Radiation oncology, Case).
IR-induced Clusterin Pathway : In this project we are studying a pathway in which secretory Clusterin (sCLU) are induced in response to low Ionizing Radiation (IR) and it is of our interest to understand the organizing principles governing the behavior of the pathway using the systems science principles of coordination
Collaboratoring experimental PI: David Boothman (Radiation oncology, UT Southwestern-Dallas).
- Sreenath SN, Mesarovic MD, Soebiyanto RP, Wolkenhauer O, and Loparo KA.
Coordination principles in complexsystems biology. Submitted.
- Millat T, Sreenath SN, Soebiyanto RP, Avva J, Cho KH, and Wolkenhauer O.
The role of dynamic stimulation pattern
in the analysis of bistable intracellular networks. Submitted.
- Wolkenhauer O, Mesarovic M, Sreenath SN, Wellstead P, Rolfs A. From regulation, control and adaptation to
the coordination of cell function. In Regulation. Laubichler M, Rheinsberger H.-J, Hammerstein P (eds.),
Vienna Series of Theoretical Biology, MIT Press. In press
- Wolkenhauer O, Mesarovic M, Wellstead P. A plea for more theory in molecular biology.
In Systems Biology - Applications and Perspectives. Bringmann P, Butcher EC, Parry G, Weiss B (eds.).
pp 117-137. Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 2007.
- Soebiyanto RP, Sreenath SN, Qu CK, Loparo KA, Bunting KD.
Complex systems biology approach to understanding coordination of JAK-STAT signaling. BioSystems (In Press), 2007.
- Sreenath SN, Soebiyanto R, Mesarovic MD, Wolkenhauer O.
Coordination of crosstalk between MAPK-PKC pathways: an exploratory study.
IET Systems Biology, 1(1): 33-40, Jan 2007.
- Mesarovic MD and Sreenath SN. Beyond flat earth perspective in systems biology. Biological
Theory, MIT Press, 1(1):33-34, 2006 Winter, Posted Online 2006 May.
- Wolkenhauer O, Sreenath SN, Wellstead P, Ullah M, Cho KH.
A systems- and signal-oriented approach to intracellular dynamics. Biochem Soc Trans. 33(3):507-15, Jun 2005.
- Mesarovic MD., Sreenath SN, and Keene JD. Search for Organising principles:
understanding in systems biology. IEE Systems Biology, 1(1):19-27, Jun 2004.
Highlights of Projects, Positions Held and Contributions
- Director, Case Complex Systems Biology Center.
- Awarded the NIH National Cancer Institute Research Career Award for 2004
- Co-Director of UNESCO GENIe (Global-issues Education Network Initiative), a
network of 20+ universities around the world in five continents that teaches
students a global issues and sustainable development curriculum generated by the
GENIe Coordinating Center at Case.
- Founded the Case Chapter of Engineers Without Borders (EWB) with active
student projects in Guatemala and in India.
- Organized and conducted over thirty international workshops in over twenty
countries in five continents.
- Headed the Aral Sea Basin Vision Analysis Team, for a UNESCO and World Bank
project (2000-2002) involving five Central Asian Countries to reverse the
world's worst environmental disaster due to Aral Sea shrinkage.
- Member of the World Water Commission Scenario Analysis team towards
preparation for the 2nd World Water Forum, The Hague, Netherlands, March 2000.
- United Nations WWAP/PCCP Panel Member for preparation to the Third World
Water Vision Conference Kyoto, Japan, 2001-2003.
- Invited by the Minister of Public Works and Water Resources, Cairo, Egypt
(1998) to conduct a workshop for Egyptian scientists and Planning Commission
- Best Undergraduate Teaching Award (1996).
- Consultant to many developing countries on issues of water, energy, and
- Lectured in more than twenty countries.
- Graduated six Ph.D.s and fifteen Masters students. Directed six post-
graduate and post-doctoral scholars. Worked with over thirty undergraduate
students on research.
- Authored over 50 research publications and written a book on global climate
change published by Springer-Verlag, an international scientific publisher.
Other Fellowships and Honors
- Learning Fellow (2003)
- Center for Professional Ethics Fellowship (1996)
- NASA-OAI Faculty Fellowship, (1992)
- Lilly Foundation Fellowship (1991-1992)
- Founding Chairman, IEEE CSS, Cleveland
- NASA-USRA Fellowship, (1986)
- National Merit Scholarshipholder, Tau Beta Pi
Previous Graduate Students: Craig Atzberger, Radina Soebiyanto
Current Graduate Students: Jayant Avva, Michael Weis
Previous Undergraduate Students: Ashish Desai, Michael Weis, and Josiah Miller
Current Undergraduate Students: Arielle Kanters, Akshai Singh
Collaborating Post Doc: Evren Gurkan-Cavusoglu